Saturday, July 25, 2009

Are You A Wealthy Man Or A Beggar?

A saint was praying silently. A wealthy merchant, observing the saint's devotion and sincerity, was deeply touched by him. The merchant offered the saint a bag of gold. "I know that you will use the money for Allah's sake. Please take it."

"Just a moment." The saint replied. "I'm not sure if it is lawful for me to take your money. Are you a wealthy man? Do you have more money at home?

"Oh yes. I have at least one thousand gold pieces at home," claimed the merchant proudly.

"Do you want a thousand gold pieces more? Asked the saint.

"Why not, of course yes. Every day I work hard to earn more money."

"And do you wish for yet a thousand gold pieces more beyond that?"

"Certainly. Every day I pray that I may earn more and more money."

The saint pushed the bag of gold back to the merchant. "I am sorry, but I cannot take your gold," he said. "A wealthy man cannot take money from a beggar."

"How can you call yourself a wealthy man and me a beggar?" the merchant spluttered.

The saint replied, "I am a wealthy man because I am content with whatever Allah (SWT) sends me. You are a beggar, because no matter how much you possess, you are always dissatisfied, and always begging Allah (SWT) for more."

2 comments:

  1. I believe we are all beggars in this life. We beg Allah everyday for his forgiveness and mercy. I have to say it my friend 9afwa, we are all beggars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's a very different sense of the word, but through it I guess we are beggars. But when I think of the word beggar, I think of someone begging for money or wealth. Considering the pleasures of the dunya, we should all be WEALTHY, because we are content and satisfied with what Allah has given us...not asking Him for more and more and more!

    ReplyDelete